The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
BurgerMan

1959 3200 H033 Rear Axle Rebuild

So I am currently in the process of rebuilding my rear axle off my 1959 3200 . I took the whole axle, wheels and all to my home garage to speed up the process. As i started breaking it down i noticed that one side smelled like diff fluid and was caked with greasy nastiness, other side was clean(ish). I figured the axle seals had gone bad and was just leaking after 15 years of sitting. I have the original axle for my 59, the H033 with the 6x5.5 lug pattern (someone correct me if im wrong here). My backing plate was riveted in, but ground them down and punched them out today after the axles were removed. Everything looks good and the tolerances/machined surfaces on the axles looks good, so im going to rebuild it. It is all pulled apart, sandblasted and ready to go. Here are my questions:

1) I noticed there were not any inner axle seals? Does the diff fluid enter the tubes to allow it to get to the wheel bearings? Is that how they are lubed?
2) When I pulled the bearings i noticed there were 3 pieces in this order from the center: A spacer, bearing, and a seal. Is this correct? Is this all considered part of the wheel bearing.
3) What are the part numbers for these 3 pieces? I found the bearing at autozone, but the seal and the washer are nowhere to be found.
4) When I hammered out the lug nut studs there was a backing plate/dust cover/something that the lugs also went through. There appeared to be a gasket on that but I can't find it either. Is it necessary? What is it?

I think that's all for now, I just need to order parts and get to the assembly. Im sure i will have more questions soon. And I know I should post some pictures to show the progress. Thanks for thr help in advance