The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
see ten
WTB this ad

Steering wheel question/suggestion

Hey guys! I've decided it's time to change the steering wheel in my 72 c10. I've owned it for 10 years and ever since I've owned it, it's had a 73-? stock pickup wheel. I didn't so much mind the way it looked, but like so many old plastic wheels it would get "sticky"... I'd clean it, and a couple months later it'd be gunked up again. I installed a cover, which solved the sticky issue... but now the cover is about worn out, and I want to replace the wheel. I haven't looked at reproduction stock 69-72 wheels in years, but I remember when they first came out, you'd see them at shows with stress cracks in them before they'd ever been installed. Keep in mind that was 10-15 years ago... maybe they're better quality now. I ran a Grant 3 spoke wooden rim steering wheel in my K10 for years. It was a pretty good wheel, but I'm not sure that I want to go down that road again. I'm thinking about using a 3 spoke chevelle, camaro, nova wheel, probably the black comfortgrip. It seems like I read somewhere that if you use one of these wheels that to end up with the right sized hub/adapter you have to buy one for a 67/68 to end up with the right diameter to match the truck column? Supposedly the 69-70 hub is larger? Maybe I imagined reading that... but... I did a search earlier for "steering wheel" and didn't find anything so... Any thoughts/insight? Suggestions as far as steering wheels go? I want to look era correct for late 60's early 70's If I go with the chevelle/camaro/nova wheel any suggestions as far as where to get the best deal?

Here's a link to an auction with the style I'm thinking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMARO-CHEVE...a67abd&vxp=mtr
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote