The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
bojak

paint issues and thoughts

My truck was repainted I'm assuming with a single stage paint at some point in its life. Fire dept red. I'm now having areas and spots where the paint is flaking off down to the metal. So I think its actually an original paint or primer issue but not sure. It is just hear and there in small spots. Biggest one is the size of a quarter. Was there issues with factory paint in 89? Or is it some relationship between the two types of paint? The answer will help me figure out how to move forward regarding my paint.
option1- if it will never be right untill I have it stripped down to bare metal then I will do some spot addressing and then some sort of diy paint job as a 5 yr fix until I could possibly afford a frame off restoration.
Option2- if these areas can be spot adressed to a level of confidence then I could cosider a medium levels paint job. I've had quotes of 3k to 5k. While not show car level, just presentable which is all I really want. Problem is that is still a lot of money to me. I would hate to drop that for a paint job with an issue underneath waiting to show up again.

So any first hand experience would be appreciated to help me sort through my options.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote