The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Road King

New Member, New 68 Truck, Few Questions

Hello members! It's been a long week awaiting my membership validation so I could make my first post. I have been on a lot of forums over the years for many different items and I must say this forum definitely has the most respectful and passionate members of any I've looked at. I've always wanted a C10 and have looked at a few over the years but last week I finally pulled the trigger. I'm no expert and welcome all comments, ideas, suggestions, and knowledge I can get. Here's what I know about the truck ( I think )

1968 model lwb
350 with double hump heads, not sure on compression or cam?
th400 trans
3:07 posi rear end
power steering and brakes
headers
The paint and body are very nice but not perfect, a solid 8 1/2 out of 10 I would say. A good quality driver, that looks sharp but your not afraid to drive it.

This was the sellers description:
Truck was completely taken apart. Body sandblasted, frame has been coated with POR 15. Front disk brake conversion. All new front and rear suspension and steering components. Motor has had a top end rebuild. All new: starter; water pump; alternator; brake, transmission, fuel lines; brake pads. All new wiring to tail lights. All new window and door seals. New seat upholstery, carpet, dash pad., radio and speakers. New paint. Alignment

Here are my questions and advice I'm looking for:
1. Do you think this is stock suspension height? I like the height or maybe a slight drop of 2/4 max? I want a good handling truck but a good ride as well since the roads are rough these days.

2. Wheels and tires? The painted black wheels are growing on me but the tires seem too small. They are 275/60/15, I feel their is too much gap between them and the fenders. For wheels if I were to change I like the Boss 338 wheels but I don't have a 5 lug. I kind of like the black Ion 171 or American Racing 6 lug torque thrusts gun metals. Maybe 18" range or keep the wheels I have now and increase tire size after I burn these off?

3. The Qjet definitely needs adjusting and a rebuild. Anything more than 25% throttle pressure it wants to stall out. I have a 600 Holley I pulled off my 69 Camaro when I put in a 383 I could use, it worked decent on that 350. Another option is I have a dyno tuner I've dealt with that would install and dyno/ tune a Quick fuel carb for around $575. I'm leaning towards this but I may just put the Holley on myself just to see how it does before spending the money but it would be nice to see the power numbers on the engine. What do you guys think?

4. Trans and gears? I may want to put in a 700 or 200r4 and some 3:42 or 3:73 at some point so that kind of affects my tire/wheel thought process?

5. I'm wondering how a flat black hockey stripe similar to a 1968 or 1969 Camaro would look on it? From the fender to the rear of the door. Your thoughts?

6. I can't leave anything alone and would like to make some changes to put my touch on it. That being said what do you thinks it's worth as is right now? I don't want to lose my butt if I get hard up for money but I'm willing to spend up to $3000 on the truck if I could get at least 75% of that back at resale time (if need be). So that's why I would love to hear some suggestions so I can have a master plan since one thing tends to relate to the other.

Here's a link to more pictures, I included a few other toys as well. The 69 has been sold (long story) so I'm hoping this truck will cure my classic itch.

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/Bigworm62/library/

Thanks for looking, sorry for the long 1st post but trying to get everything into one and I'm very pumped about it, so is my 3 year old son!
Attached Images

Last edited by Road King; 03-06-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Road King is offline   Reply With Quote