The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
jcspaek009

New wiring harness problem. Need help!

So I just rebuilt my 400sbc in my 72' c10 and also put in a new painless wiring kit, I fallowed the wiring instructions to a "T" also looking at the old (original) harness for a reference when needed. I put a new Alternator in as well, so I fired the truck up a couple days ago and it started and ran no problem until i tried to shut the truck off when the Alternator started to smoke a little and got very hot, the truck wouldn't shut off so I had to pull the coil wire to shut it down, I called painless and they said this does happen sometimes where the vehicle won't shut off and that I needed to install a diode on the excitor wire (white) to fix it, so I put the diode in and it still won't shut down and the same alternator smokes and gets very hot, also I don't have a ballast resistor and it didn't have one when I got the truck. Any help would be great cuz I'm loosing my mind and just want to drive the truck now that the snow is gone.
Thanx
2007 Saturn Outlook
2008 Yz250f
jcspaek009 is offline   Reply With Quote