The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
mechanixman

Rack and Pinion Adventure

Hey Everyone
I figured if I go through the steering like I did the brakes, I might as well post it too. So it started off with steering box woes. I couldn't fit anything that had a drag link like the original steering set up. I looked into a cross steer set up, but both the steering shaft and figuring out the exhaust would still be a nightmare. So I decided a rack and pinion was the way to go. A lot of the people talking down about this set up had the same responses, each of which I'd like to address.

The Bump steer will be out of this world!
I'm not mounting my rack and pinion to the frame, but to the axle. And in turn, eliminating any bump steer whatsoever.
Side Note: Technically, if you mount the rack in the right place, the wheels will move in and out the same amount, meaning bump steer really won't be much of a problem. But because you're measurements have to be so exact for that, I'f prefer not to.

You're adding unsprung weight to the vehicle, meaning your handling and performance will go down.
2 things to that remark, both come from the president of No Limit Engineering.
1. His kit only adds 3.5lbs to the axle. The one I'm building will probably add 6 lbs. That's hardly anything at all! especially considering you're adding at least 10lbs to the wheels just by doing a brake disc conversion.
2. Since when does "classic truck straight axle", and "performance and handling" ever go in the same sentence? I'm not racing this at Bonneville, I'm using this as a daily driver! Somewhere I won't really need to worry about handling performance any more than usual. Maybe it would be a problem if I had a drilled out axle with carbon fiber components on it, but that is not the case.

Now the final (and my biggest concern)
Now if you mount it to the axle, you need to have a steering shaft with a slip joint in it. They tend to be high maintenance, and it could fail.
Now this is a concern of mine, but the reason I have disregarded this is because flaming river makes a couple dozen telescoping steering shafts for several makes and models, all look well built. The No Limit Engineering kit uses it, and classic trucks magazine used the no limit engineering kit in their AD pick up. If these steering shafts did fail as frequently as some people say they do, I feel like at least 2 companies wouldn't be selling them, and a national magazine wouldn't post an article involving one.
If anyone believes what I have said is wrong, please let me know. I'd much rather be wrong than in a hospital bed.

Phew! Now that being said. Here's what I have started on this project.
The original tie rod measures 48" center to center.
I picked a mustang II rack because it measures 45" to the ends of each rod.
I bought the K member out of an 87 mustang for $50.

The original tie rod ends are $110 at any local auto parts store, and it's hard as hell to find a 1/2-20 tap to make any kind of adapter. So I decided to find myself a modern, cheaper equivalent.
I spent an hour and half at oreilly's two days ago finding a set of tie rod ends that actually would fit the original steering arms.
Here it is! it's a little bit larger, but it will work perfectly. This came out of the for Aerostar! (I never thought I'd use any part from one of those van on this truck.) $15 for the tie rod end! Part number at oreilly's is es2262rl
I figure if anyone wants to update their tie rod, this is a good start.

Right now, I need to work on making a bracket to securely hold the rack to the axle, and an adapter to mount the 9/16-18 mustang tie rod to the M14X1.5 tie rod end from the aerostar.
We'll see what happens!
Attached Images

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote