The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #25
Old Truck Man

Re: My wifes dads truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Thanks for posting photos, I find period rims to be an interesting subject. There are different versions of wheels, even though the sizes are the same. The 17.5" wheel attached to vehicle is a 1960 thru 1968 version of the 17.5" The 17.5 sitting loose is the 1956 thru 1959 version. The center sections have a different offset, due to straight axle vs. IFS suspensions. The white 3 piece 15" 8 lug was the 1960 thru early 1965 wheel (this one was recalled by GM and replaced with 2 piece 15" 8 lug). The 16" 2 piece 8 lug (red wheel) came out in 1965 and used thru 1968. The white 16" 8 lug with bumps is the 1969 thru 1972 version. The main reason for lock ring wheels is you didn't need a machine to stretch the bead of a heavy duty 8 or 10 bias ply tire over a rim, you just slide the new tire over the smooth end of the open rim and then install lock ring. The other reason is tubes ( required on lock ring wheels) hold air pressure better in rugged conditions ( driving over curbs or large rocks). Tubeless tires are more prone to loosing air pressure in rugged use.
Thanks for the info. The six hole two piece rim is mounted on my tilt top trailer. The tire is a bias 12 ply that came from a lowboy trailer. you could never stretch the bead of that tire over a rim. I found a place where I could buy a hub to mount a 6 hole chevy rim . on a house trailer axle. The 14.5,s are history. I grew up with lock ring wheels and fix them myself. I aint skeered. If the rims are in good shape and you use proper safety measures its easy & safe.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote