The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
mustang671

New guy, from uk , questions on my chevy 48 loadmaster

hi all

have just joined, I have bought a 1948 chevy loadmaster , 2 tonne 161" tipper truck. it has the straight 6 petrol in it, its original with 2 owners from new and 71k original miles.

I have bought it to use for 2x reasons. first is to replace my ford transit tipper truck I use as a builder, running costs are silly, as this chevy truck is road tax and mot exempt (uk ) and small insurance cost then I would like to have it to use for work, would also be a great advertisement for my building company,

2nd use is to have sides that are removable and double up as ramps for a car transporter for my custom cars. will fit a electric winch.

ok so what issues I have and what I know so far that needs to be done.

6v circuit . how easy is it to change to 12v ??

I blend my own diesel fuel so really want to fit a higher bhp diesel which isn't the modern variant of common rail, so a direct inj type - with that said has it been done ? I presume this 90 hp petrol engine will be a leaded engine ? in the uk we do not have leaded now.

have been told it would be slow with this 90hp straight 6 engine and box ? its a 4 speed. is there anyway of getting more power and speed from what I have before I go thinking about a chevy 6lt v8 engine ?

if I went the diesel engine route then I think I would have to fit a electric pump for the rear tipper ???

where is a good place to get spares and service parts in the uk ?

do they do a disc conv for the front.??

what do I need to look out for ? known issues etc.

sorry for all the questions,

thanks all.

very excited Laugh

Shaun

Last edited by mustang671; 03-28-2014 at 02:00 PM.
mustang671 is offline   Reply With Quote