The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

Even though I have pressure-bled the brake system twice, and flushed about a quart and a half of fluid through it without seeing a single air bubble, my pedal still felt very soft, and also felt like the travel of the pedal was excessive.
I soon googled "CCP master cylinder issues" an was connected to some threads concluding that the linkage rod for power brakes should be re-located 1+ inch lower than the manual brake location.
When I attempted to lower the pivot point, it made the rod angle excessive, and seemed to be close to binding at the brake booster.
To correct this problem, I welded an ear onto my drive rod, allowing me to attach it to the lower location on the pedal arm, and still remain horizontal and direct at the booster assembly.
I don't have very good pics, but I think that you will get the idea.
By the way, this immediately cured my issue with the brakes....Another item to scratch off the list of things to do!

Here are some pics of my already modified booster linkage.
The cut-off end slips into a pocket in a coupler that I fabricated that is attached to the brake booster. The ear that I welded onto it relocates the pivot point about 1-1/8" lower on the pedal arm.

Here are a few pics of the arm mounted into place.
You can kinda see the old pivot point for the linkage that is in-line with the rod, and if you look real hard you can see the coupler that I made from some hex-stock that the rod slip-fits into, allowing for easy adjustment of the rod length.

Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote