The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Kaysen

Looking for advice, keeping r12 freon

I bought an 86 swb back in December and as its started getting warmer its time to get the A/C working. All components were said to be in good working order from the previous owner but he said it takes about a can of Freon a year bc of a leak. I've thought about swapping to 134a but after having several of these trucks and converting them all, I just don't think it works as well as the r12.

So heres what I'm thinking. save the money on converting it over and buy r12 instead (about 30 bucks a can from what I can tell, plus have someone with a license buy it). Have the system bled and any r12 Freon left in the system caught, then replace orifice tube and all O-rings to try to stop the leak(s). Then add more new r12 Freon.

Am I missing anything, like should I replace the dryer?? I have a friend who has all the proper r12 equipment to do it I just wanted to get another set of opinions before I pull the trigger on over a hundred bucks worth of freon. Thanks in advance. Kaysen
Kaysen is offline   Reply With Quote