The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Nice job....waiting to watch the taillight mods.
Well then this post is for you bud, see below !! Probably not what you are looking for just yet, but there are about 5-8 related parts or sections that are coming into play for this mod, so please be patient. In the end, just like my grille, it should all make sense.... or it will be an epic fail. We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Nice improvement. It's tedious working with straightening and polishing stainless, but the results can be a great reward.
It can be, I agree, but it is nice to just focus on one thing for a bit and let your brain forget about all other cares in the world for the while you are working it. That was me with this trim.... still not sure I am even going to use it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Good Progress!
Thanks Low, I sure do like looking at your build too sir !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Glad to see you busy on the truck Murph! Trim is always cool
Thank you, like I just told Mark, not even sure I am going to use it, but it is there, lurking in the back of my mind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Taillight Mock-up...

The trim is looking good, patience Grasshopper!!!

Great Work Murph!!!
Thanks Don, you are the epitome of what I would call a "Fan Base" !! I sure do appreciate all the support and encouragement you offer up man !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Looking at the price of a full set of trim pieces for my Short Fleetside landed here in the UK vs your results so far, I am wondering if repairing or having mine repaired, as every piece is damaged, does not make some sense, especially if I could find an old skool craftsman to involve.

I have been looking to find you a set of old London Taxi Cab rear lights like I have on the teardrop trailer for months now, just to mess with your head but have not been successful ( yet )
I revisited photos of your trailer to better identify what you are talking about and those tail lights are pretty cool looking.

*******************************************************************************************

Ok kids, here we go...
Like I said previously, I was not happy at all with the initial shave job I did on those rear tail light spots on my fenders. So, back at it went I...

They look pretty rough here, but we ran out of our spool of .30 wire which I was REALLY starting to like better than the smaller .23. For me I was laying better welds with lower heat with the bigger wire, and it seemed to be less time consuming to weld stuff, so this chore got to be tedious very quickly; aside from the fact that it was a re-do...
Name:  15apr14 rear fender  tail light shave re-do (1).jpg
Views: 408
Size:  39.0 KB

I had to go with much bigger patch panels than I originally anticipated to take as much of the factory contours out of play as possible, which I discovered were more than what initially meets the eye...
Name:  15apr14 rear fender  tail light shave re-do (4).jpg
Views: 406
Size:  31.5 KB

I also used more bondo on this than I have any other mod or project I have done. Not so much to asuage my disappointment, but to get as close to a professional looking job as possible, without spending a week on this one project. I think they turned out pretty good:
Name:  15apr14 rear fender  tail light shave re-do (6).jpg
Views: 390
Size:  24.3 KB

As smooth as a baby's butt:
Name:  15apr14 rear fender  tail light shave re-do (8).jpg
Views: 399
Size:  20.8 KB

Here is what I finally settled with, though props to Alan and all you other pro-body working guys for the info and guidance you provide !! I am certain however that my amature status is in no danger of being upgraded any time soon LoL !!!
Name:  15apr14 rear fender  tail light shave re-do (9).jpg
Views: 409
Size:  30.6 KB

Thanks for looking dudes !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote