The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

John Lee's 250 I6 Gets another Main Seal!

And another oil pan gasket.

Started pukin oil again. Only after running on the interstate....stop the truck, shut it down and galluuuupe, bout a quarter cup runs out onto the floor thru the center hole in the inspection cover....oil slung into the starter and out its drain hole and all back the trans too.

So.......this time I ordered the Fel Pro Silykone main seal with the double lip. Before we had a single lip rubber...it leaked. Then the second one, not a felpro but a double lip rubber, I think it leaked too. (I checked the part number on it, its an off brand and it leaked, naturally.) But on removal of this second main seal I noted the pan corners and in and around the main cap were not sealed. In fact there were stiff bits of old adhesive in there and I'm thinkin some of this leak could well have been oil pan gasket related. But, as long as I have to drop the pan, might as well put in a best quality SilyKone main seal.

My experience with Fel Pro gaskets, is, they usually don't leak. I'm hoping the same is true for this newest Silykone rear main seal.

Just some pics below showing the process. I didn't take pics of reassembly, its pretty much a know brainer.

So, the test ride went well. After three stops to shut down and check and about 10 miles or so at highway speed, I'm not seeing any leaks. Time will tell. Back to work tomorrow and I'm hoping this best guality seal and gasket set does the trick.