The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
diggerbob

Re: When it comes to TRUCKS…what has been the dumbest thing you have ever done??

Several years ago, while trying to figure out why I had a vibration at speed, I had pulled my truck into the garage and taken out the drive shaft so that I could make some measurements. I was sitting in front of the truck reading something when I sensed that the lighting in the garage was suddenly changing as if shadows were being cast over where I was standing. I looked up to see that my truck was slowly moving out of the garage. I had always thought thought my garage floor was pretty level...ummm...maybe not?

Once the back wheels hit the steeply sloped driveway, my truck started gaining speed, but I couldn't get out of the garage until the front of the truck had cleared the garage opening. By the time I opened the driver's door and swung it open, my truck was halfway down the driveway and gaining speed. I tried to swing myself into the driver's seat so that I could apply the brakes, but the truck door threw me to the ground before I could get into the seat. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground, stars flying around my head, watching the front driver's wheel and thinking how glad I was that it wasn't going to run over me.

The truck took out my mailbox and then rolled out into the middle of the street where the mailbox post finally landed under a tire and stopped the truck from further movement. My neighbor witnessed a lot of this scene from across the street and thought that it was a riot...but at least he helped me get my truck out of the middle of the street so that I could put the drive shaft back in. When my wife came outside to see what all the commotion was about, I recounted the story to her and told her that I had been planning to replace our mailbox anyway...(I don't think she bought it!)
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote