The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
Burmanater

Blew out my spider gears today got questions.

So I was being a little rough on the factory 10 bolt in my 84 2wd c10 and it chucked the spider gears. They were worse for wear anyways but as they went the did a number on the carrier also. The spiders may have gone because the lock bolt for the center shaft snapped in 2 places also. Luckily the ring and pinion were not harmed. Could use a pinion bearing in the future though.

I pulled the gears out of my parts truck and have yet to swap the carriers and spiders as the I don't have an impact or breaker bar strong enough to get the factory bolts off either ring gear. I want to keep my factory 2.56 gears vs. the 3.08s from my parts truck. With my th350 the sweet spot is 65 right where I want it.

I do have a question regarding the 10 bolts found in g bodies and 6 lug 10 bolts found in half ton 4x4s. Will a posi unit from one of these work in my 10 bolt? I know there is a 28 and 30 spline but other than that I have not heard of any other differences. Besides width, axles, and brake assemblies. Any help would be appreciated.
Burmanater is offline   Reply With Quote