The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
72CampSpecial

'72 C20 Wheel Bearing adjustment/torque?

Specs: '72 C20 Camper Custom, 3/4 ton, disk brakes up front and drums in the rear.

Ive searched a bunch of post and I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly seat the bearings and torque/set the castle nut once I've re-installed all new bearings and associated parts.

Some post tell me to torque the castle nut to 15 ft. lbs. and then back it off, re-tighten finger tight, then back off to align the cotter pin.

Some post tell me to tighten to upwards of 50 ft. lbs. back off, re-tighten to 30 ft lbs. and then align for cotter pin.

My Chilton talks about tightening the inner adjustment nut (??) to 50 ft lbs then loosening and retightening to 35 and then backing it off to nearest hole lock washer and installing a locknut?? Mine only has a castle nut??

Beyond those instructions in the Chilton they give references to just about every year except the '72 3/4 ton..

Im confused...help appreciated..
72CampSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote