The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
jesdude7789

1987 gmc R1500 tbi. LOPEY IDLE/STALL/NO POWER

I have done just about everthing I know to do to this truck and cannot figure this one out.
This is my daily driver for the last 7 years.
The engine has 130,000 miles on it and the trans was rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago.

About two months ago my truck started leaking oil from of the back of the motor and it really got bad a few weeks ago. I eventually traced the problem to the back of the intake. The engine would also run a little rough once I accelerated from idle but it wasn't bad.... YET. I R&R'ed the intake manifold and installed new fel pro gaskets and layed a nice fresh bead of rtv along the front and back edges like you're supposed to. Now there is NO oil leak. Also did a new oil pressure switch while I was back there.
The truck still idles just fine but it still has problems accelerating once i'm off idle. If I immediately stop again then the engine will get a really lopey idle and sometimes just about stall out and then if I don't touch the gas pedal and wait a few seconds or so it will almost instantly regain a smooth consistent idle.
If I go ahead and keep accelerating then it will smooth out enough once I get it going 20-30 mph and above to highway speeds. But I can still tell that the engine isn't running correctly. It was doing this to some degree before I R&R the intake manifold.

I have done:
a new TPS (adjusted to .55 volts)
a new MAP
a new CLT
rebuilt the throttle body completely
a new fuel pump, even though the fuel pressure was a steady 12 psi before.
a new fuel filter
a new oil pressure switch
checked for vacuum leaks (found none)
a new coil, plugs, wires were put on yesterday
a new spark module
entire distributor and cap and rotor are all less than 6 months old
checked the timing (with tan/black wire unplugged)

I have great voltage at 14.1 when running
It starts up just fine like it always has and actually even a little bit quicker with the fresh plugs and wires.
I replaced the MAP sensor because at one point I was getting a 34 check engine code for that. I replaced the TPS because of it's age.
As of yesterday, I do not have any check engine codes. I should also mention that I have a laptop with the ALDLcable program installed and a OBD1 cable which allows me to see the live sensor data. The OBD1 is a very old system though and so the data refresh rate is about every second or two.

The ONLY thing I haven't replaced yet is the EGR valve but I did remove and reinstall it because it looked pretty good and didn't seem to be sticking or anything. I also haven't done it because I have already spent so much money and time on this truck over the past 2 weeks. There was no heavy carbon build up.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have always worked on my own cars/trucks which have mostly been chevy. What do you guys think?

Last edited by jesdude7789; 04-28-2014 at 08:19 AM.
jesdude7789 is offline   Reply With Quote