The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
ricott

Re: 55 TF Stretched Cab/Fleetside/LSx/Trailblazer Frame

Dug, to answer your question, I plan to use a short wheelbase Trailblazer tank. I thought the long wheelbase probably would not fit after shortening the frame by several inches. The fuel pump assembly should have two connectors on it, one for the pump/fuel gage, and a second that is the "tank pressure" sensor. The third set of wires goes to the fuel vapor filter system. The tank pressure and the fuel vapor system work with the switch on the top of the intake manifold. When the pressure gets to a certain point, the PCM triggers the intake manifold switch which opens and pulls some of the gas vapor from the fuel tank. I plan to run this part of the emissions system to (hopefully) eliminate the gas smell - but it can easily be programmed out (we did that on the GTO).

One big issue with using the stock canister type fuel pump is the fuel level sending unit. From what I recall, after around 2000 GM began using a sending unit that sends its signal to the Body Control Module, the BCM then "translates" the information and sends it to the fuel gage. An aftermarket (or traditional ) fuel gage will not work with the signal. I have thought of two possible solutions: 1) graft an aftermarket fuel sending unit into the fuel pump canister, but clearances are tight getting these pumps into the tank, or 2) find a fuel pump canister from a 1998 (or possibly) a 1999 Camaro. They look like they would work, and the 1998 pump still powers the fuel gage independently of the BCM.

Since you are a lot closer to having to deal with this issue, let me know your thoughts.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote