The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #1
Ghetto Jet

1955.2 GMC 350 series (future build thread)

First post. Picked this for up my dad as a retirement gift/project. My younger brother and I thought he should have something interesting to work on.

After a considerable amount of time searching for the right kind of truck when I saw it there was no doubt it was "the one." It is dad's favorite body style, specifically the 350 series. We bought it the day before the first heavy snow here in PA. The first picture I took with my cell phone when the sun was going down. This was after spending a couple hours polishing the front, staining the emblems and sealing off the broken windows. It was kept hidden here at my brother's friends house for a while. I don't know anything about the Chevy to the left.

It has the original Pontiac 287 and 4 speed trans with a 2 speed rear end (works fine). It runs and drive but has no brakes. The engine runs smooth and quiet, no smoke. The transmission has to be forced into first and reverse with a grind (knowing that we just put it in those gears off) I'm hoping there is rust on the flywheel causing this. The odometer numbers faded away while sitting but looks like 48,000 miles. The truck is surprisingly solid with the exception of the door bottoms. It has was in storage for 20 years then bought and kept outside for the last 10 before being purchased. There is no rust inside the fenders, they still have the original paint and under coating. The floors are solid too.

Here are some other pictures that were hosted by someone else. I found a thread on another truck forum where a guy was debating buying this and took over 100 photos of it. I'm grateful that he never took the pictures down or purchased the truck.

We agreed on $1300 including a extra complete bezel with gauges and a factory tach that is supposedly worth some coin.

many more pictures http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GMgu...?sort=4&page=1

I love this truck broken glass and all, I've been calling it the beast. It looks like it belongs in a horror movie. My brother and I kind of disagreed about the size of it. I didn't think it was that big but we were standing in a field. Then the tow truck driver wouldn't put it on his roll back. (long story)

There is no clear plan of attack yet other then get it road worthy. We put fresh antifreeze in back when we got it and it holds just fine. I ordered belts, hoses, oil filters, picked up some Rotella. Brakes are on the agenda first. I'm keeping an eye on craigslist for a deal on some newer tires for the front. As of right now we're thinking remove all the rust, weld in new metal on the doors, but leave the dents and do a patina paint job. Probably switch the color to Aspen Green and white accents where it belongs. Who knows, we'll see. My dad also mentioned switching the rear to super single tires and lowering it some. That could be interesting.

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 05-08-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Ghetto Jet is offline   Reply With Quote