The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
White70C20

Brake issues...

Hello all,

It has been a while since I was on here last. I've been busy with schoolwork.
Anyway,
Both of my pickups are having brake issues.

The green C20 seems to have a leak, even though I can't see any fluid leaking out on the ground. The only fluid I see collects on the underside of the master cylinder in little drips. The brake pedal also seems to require more movement than it should (it has power drum brakes). After driving 30-40 miles nonstop, the pedal can seem a little bit spongy. Also, the rear section of the reservoir on the master cylinder seems to loose fluid. I've never let it go dry, but whenever I check it (every couple weeks) it's always down half an inch or so, whereas the front section never seems to go down. Does anyone have any idea where the leak may be coming from?

The blue C20 (my grandfather's) has an entirely different problem. I am in the process of rebuilding the brakes on it. When I took off the drums I realized it still had asbestos shoes on it (hadn't had brake work done since the 80s!!!)
Anyway, the wheel cylinders are seized. I have attempted removing the bolts holding the wheel cylinders on several times (I have soaked them in penetrating oil, heated them up, etc.) and nothing seems to loosen them up. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove those pesky bolts? I need to get the brakes put on over the next three days so I can lower the truck back down on its wheels so I can put the engine back in.

Thanks!

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
White70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote