The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
tsetsaf

LS Swap cold air intake... just a little custom

Like a lot of folks we just ran some tube with a cone filter for the intake. Due to space constraints the filter was on 12" of 4" tube with a 90 and 120 placing the filter next to the passenger fender. Needless to say it sucked hot air. Finally got around to redesigning the intake to be a true cold air system. Believe it or not this forum actually has some of the best threads on the topic with Andy4639 excellent pics here.

Using two 12" 45 aluminum tubes, a 90 silicone elbow, and a couple silicone connectors I rerouted the intake over the alternator and down into the empty space behind the core support on the drivers side. My father inlaw then fabbed a 4" metal punch based upon smaller models like these. This allowed us to cut a hole through the core without too much paint damage nor the need to remove the grill.

Finally using aluminum sheeting I fabbed a cold air box and lid, polished the outside, and insulated the inside. Truck already runs noticeably better with the longer and straighter tubing. Cold air should help further. Here are the pics. Still need to get some better weather seal and some real world testing of the air flow.
Attached Images