The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
chevota

Help! Fuel/Carb issue

OK.... The truck is a 65 C20 with a stock 283 with a Rochester 2G carb. The truck is my daily driver at the moment and was running great. The other day I was headed across town and cruising about 50mph. All of a sudden the motor cut out and then continued running normally. It was only for a second, but then it happened again. I pulled over and kept it running. I crawled underneath and looked at where I have a fuel filter. It looked pretty dirty, so I headed to the parts store and got 2 filters. Im just running the cheap fram clear plastic filters. I had one right underneath the cab where the hardline comes through the body. I also had one just before the pump. My reason for this is that the truck had sat for many years before I bought it and there was a little crud in the tank. I put in new filters and it fired up and I drove the rest of the way without issue. The next day I was driving and had the same cutout/stumble while cruising at around 45mph. I opened the hood and looked at the filter just before the pump (mechanical). The filter barely had any fuel in it. I figured that there was a possibility that I had put too much of a load on the pump because of the debris that was in the filters I had replaced. (I was thinking that clogged filters = lots of restriction making the pump work harder than it was supposed to). I had replaced this pump 8 months prior (which is just after I bought the truck) because it was bad. The pump I had replaced it with had a 1 year warranty so I went and switched it out. I replaced the pump, fired up the truck, and all seemed well. The following day, I didn't have any cutout or stumble, but when the truck was just sitting at idle, i could hear it slowly decreasing RPM's and almost stall, then pick back up. I went underneath the truck while doing this (as of this point I only have 1 filter and eliminated the other due to me thinking of the resistance it was placing on the pump) and saw that the fuel filter had barely any fuel in it. Then, while still underneath the truck I would hear the RPM's rise, and I could see fuel filling the filter again. I took apart the fuel line from the pickup to the carb and blew it out with air. All was good and no problems or debris were found. Then I thought maybe air was being sucked into the system in the 2 places where hardline met rubber fuel hose. I was originally using the spring type hose clamps. I switched to the type that tighten with a screw. I ran the truck after this and it did seem to improve the problem some, but the problem still exists. At idle the RPM's will slowly drop and rise as does the coming and going of fuel in the filter. I am at a loss as to whats going on. Getting pretty frustrated. New pump, good lines, new filters, new clamps, I even tried taking the fuel cap off thinking it was a vent issue with no success or change. Do you guys have any ideas? I really need to get this figured out so I can go to work. It was running good for about 6 months with no issues other than an alternator rebuild. I thank anyone with advice in advance. I appreciate any help.
chevota is offline   Reply With Quote