The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
Chrispbrown36

Which would you choose?

I have been keeping my eye on three trucks for about a month now and I am a bit torn on which one would be the better deal. All three are within a couple hundred bucks of each other. All of them are 2-3 hours away from me and only one of them have I been able to get someone who lives close to take a look at.
Truck #1- Is a 1971 GMC Super Custom. It has a straight 6 with three on the tree. Original paint in pretty good condition with 97% of the original trim. Interior is decent but would have to be redone. Has the original owners manual and the sales ticket. The only thing not original on it are the wheels. This truck has the most rust on it. Typical rocker and cab corner rust. The cab mounts are also rusted. This is the only one of the three that I have been able to have someone take a look at. He knows cars/trucks but is more into newer vehicles. he told me that the motor fired right up and purred nicely. He said the thing that would concern him most is the cab mounts.
Truck #2- Is a 1972 Chevy. This is based on pictures and what the guy has told me over the phone since I haven't been able to make it down that way. It has a 350 automatic. It is an A/C cab but not sure if it is working right now. The body is in very good shape. The rockers are solid and one cab corner has some rust in it. It has bucket seats with the console. Passenger seat is torn but not too bad. Trim is around 98% with just a few pieces missing. Dash pad is shot but the rest of the interior is in good shape.
Truck #2- Is a 1971 1 ton step side with a 350 four on the floor. Now, I am not a big fan of step sides but this one has caught my eye. The guy says it is a longhorn, but somewhere I read that longhorns were not made as step sides and I can not see the seam where the extra length was added. The body is in very good shape. I am guessing it is not the original paint....it just looks too good, but not a recent job. The interior is in very good shape including the dash pad. Aftermarket wheels but the rest looks to be all original.
I like the looks of truck 1 by far the best. I love the 4 eye grill, which is 100% intact, but I am not keen on the straight 6 or the three on the tree because there are times my wife might have to drive it and she can't drive a stick. The rust is the worst on truck 1, but it also has the most going for it as far as bling goes.
Truck 2 is very solid and the guy that has it knows something about the trucks. (which could be a bad thing as far as the price goes) I love the fact it is a 350 auto and the fact the rockers are solid. The interior is nice, but I prefer a bench seat and the guy wants another 400 bucks just for the buckets. And of course it being an A/C cab is a big plus.
Truck 3 looks to be in amazing shape but it is the furthest from me and so far the guy hasn't returned a phone call. As I said, I have never really cared for step sides but for some reason this one has caught my eye. Don't really want a stick, but I am more comfortable with a floor shift than a column. If it is a longhorn that would also be a big plus for it.
Obviously going and looking at them in person would be the best thing, but I hate burning gas to find out it's just not what I want. So I guess what I am asking is.....If you had your pick, which one would you want to look at first?
Chris
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote