The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
no_rice

500 caddy big block and a 6spd...!

so.... last week i bought myself a t56(from a 94-95 firebird lt1) to go in my 70 gmc shortbox, and figured for awhile i would either bolt it up the the old good running 350 i have in my truck, or MAYBE do an ls swap while i swap the trans(just really not wanting to do the ls because of how common its become, even though its a great setup)

well, now i have stumbled across what appears to be a 70 cadillac 500(400 horse 550 torque)... carb to pan, fan to flywheel. ive been researching for the last 2 days what it would take to put this combo together and in my truck.

has anyone seen this combo before? it will apparently take SOME sort of BOP bell housing to get the 2 mated together from the little bit of info i can find. the crank has to be drilled for a pilot bushing or something similar. obvious crossmember and floor modifications...

ill have to figure out headers since i believe the caddy pattern is different from other big blocks?(somewhere i think i came across an adapter to fit 396/454 style headers to the caddy motor)

side question, i think i remember seeing that a big block has trouble clearing the normal power brake booster setup?(just trying to cover bases)

my biggest concern seems to be mating the t56 to the 500. our trucks were available with big blocks so mounts shouldnt be a problem, crossmembers can be moved/modified, floor and shifter can be customized. drive shaft will have to be built and i'll have to figure out the steps for setting the trans to pinion angle correctly.

and guess i should wait on dropping the front another inch if i plan on adding a wee bit more weight to the front end... lol

any useful info or leads on this would be appreciated.
no_rice is offline   Reply With Quote