The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
cherokeejohn

TH350 or 700R4 ??? opinions and info wanted please.

Well the used TH350 I installed in march didn't make it very long ( BIG SURPRISE!!! ). It started making a chattering noise while driving it home, so when I got home, I dropped the pan and found bunches of small pieces of the steel bands. So,( another one bites the dust! ). My question,s for y'all is; I am looking for threads on the process and parts needed to change over to a 700R4. I've tried searching the thread search bar but cant seem to find what I'm looking for. Awhile back, (b4 my last trans. swap) I posted on here for info on the same thing and for the 200-4R, but I didn't save the thread. I drive the truck as a daily driver. some highway, some towing (nothing too heavy), an average of 400 miles a week. The TH350 is sufficient but when on the highway, I really want an overdrive. the thing is on the weekends I travel a 140 mile round trip to my campsite either towing our small camper (less than 4,000 lbs, or our small utility trailer with motorcycles, or kayaks ( also under4,000 lbs ). My concern is, will the 700 R4 hold up to this use. I have decided to go with "Bowtie Overdrives" this time so I know i am getting a quality, well built trans, that wont quit on me in 3 months, and if anything unfortunate does happen, It's under a warranty. I'm just un sure of what trans to go with. My budget is limited, and I will be doing the labor part myself. I am trying to get a list of what is needed to do the swap to the 700 R4 so I can work up how much it will cost, and determine if it's even within my budget. Any Tips, Info, Suggestions, Etc... is welcome and will be greatly appreciated. I know there is NO BETTER place than this board to find the info and answer i seek. I love this site
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote