The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Smudge

70 CST Interior, Basic help request

Hey guys. I recently picked up a '70 CST and I'm looking for a little guidance. I'm no mechanic, shade tree or otherwise, so this is very basic stuff.

It seems to me that the interior is mostly original, except that the carpet looks like it was recently replaced, as well as the steering wheel. I want to preserve the originality, for now at least, with the thought of maybe restoring this truck in 5 years or so. I have a few areas that I think need attention to keep them from deteriorating further:

(1) Vinyl door panels look pretty good but they have come loose and torn at the bottom corners. Photo below is of the driver's door, and it is the better one. My thought is to come up with some sort of metal or plastic edge molding to pull the vinyl down and keep it from being pulled further... the headliner has such a molding edge, photo below. Is that a crazy idea? Any ideas where I might get such an item?

(2) Second issue is what I'm calling the gear selection indicator?? It's the fin on top of the steering column that is viewed through the clear gear indicator... a picture is worth 1000 words, it's shown below. The fin is broken, and a previous owner has drilled a hole at the end and screwed it on, and also attempted to use an adhesive. I've not even had any luck trying to search LMC or these forums for the name of the part! I'm guessing I'll need the entire outside of the steering column. Looking for suggestions.

(3) Oh, there are tears in the end of the vinyl bench seat, too, not bad but I wonder if it's better to use a vinyl patch or just leave it alone.

Like I said, I'm a rank beginner. I just got nostalgic for an old truck, and this is the result. Wife thinks I'm nuts for selling my 2010 Ranger with good A/C and less than 42,000 miles, but I couldn't be happier.

Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote