The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
jd.marshall

53 Chevy Cab Sheetmatel Work

I am thinking I want to go ahead and replace the firewall, floor board and rear cab panel for the following reasons.

Firewall
Engine hump has been modified and cobbled together with multiple pieces of sheet metal, angles are off and it looks rough as guts. Also has a firewall mount brake booster (I want to mount in the frame rails) with the original stamped profile ground down and very rough holes flame cut.

Floor
Overall some general rust pin holes that could be welded up and general pitting that would be covered by carpet. Of importance to me is the missing seat riser and B pillar cross brace structure. I want to go back with the original seat and seat riser structure and bench seat and it looks like it may just make sense to replace the whole floor

Rear cab panel
Both corner patch pieces were poorly welded in with a lot of distortion in the fit up and across the flat sheet metal. A third brake light was welded in and that panel has caused distortion in the rear cab panel.

The chassis is already mustang II, 350 HO turn key T350 4 link 9" balsted and painted with 4 wheel discs so i have a great foundation.

I understand this to be a lot of work and I am a rookie truck resto guy with good mechanical and decent welding skills. I also feel I might as well do this right, bite the bullet and enjoy the technical challenge. The three panlels will be well over a grand but my labor will be free. I'm kind of looking at it as a buy once, cry once deal on a nice (not show class) back country driver.
I think that I will need to install temporary cross bracing for removing and replacing these three sections at a minimum.

I would appreciate your all thoughts and comments on this and I am also curious on the best order of operations to replace these three major sheetmetal sections. Which panel (floor, firewall, rear cab) first, second and third?
Also would appreciate reference to any build posts with good examples.
Attached Images

jd.marshall is offline   Reply With Quote