The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
davepl

Priming the fuel lines

Note well: I have no idea if this is smart or safe. I'm just reporting what I did because it was interesting. Do not attempt. Consult a qualified mechanic.

I have a new engine that's been sitting a year or so since the dyno. While I am priming the oiling system, I still don't want it to have to crank for 30 seconds to 'suck' fuel from the tank into new dry lines.

What I did was detach the line at the carb, stuck it in a gallon gas can and had someone monitor it. I then used a rag and tire inflator air hose to lightly pressurize the fuel tank. Since mine is unvented (and this would not work otherwise) the only way out is for fuel to go out the pickup. There was still some pressure when I released the rag which coughed up a light mist of fuel that I wasn't quite expecting.

Sure enough with just a few psi of pressure it took maybe 5-8 seconds for fuel to appear in the jug. Now my lines are primed, I can check for some leaks before starting, and it won't have to crank a long time.

I know I could pour gas in the carb and fire it up and hope it runs long enough to prime the fuel pump (which is what I've always seen done). I've twice now seen people set their cup/bottle/whatever of fuel on fire when it backfired. One guy panicked and threw the Big Gulp cup of burning fuel. Can't believe they saved the garage.

This was my attempt to avoid that whole scenario. There may be better ways.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote