The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
mud.man.rj

Re: Help-carb back fireing

Hey Tim, wow with all those legs would be hard to fund a project, what are they like for cost, prob not to cheap for anything specialized like that I bet. Very cool you found the problem, figured so. Most try the 3/4 turn preload, I always go 5/8's of a turn..max from 0 turn on the pushrod or just tight drag. I always use a breakin additive and double it, way cheaper than a cam again. Have always for around 20 years used GM cam and lifter lube, always use 2 and Rotella T diesel oil for my 20 min @ around 1,800 rpm breakin then dump the oil and filter, use 10w30 and another Gm additive for about 300 kms, change it out and what ever oil usually still 10w30 so for less leaks in the summer and always run an additive w every oil change on all our cars and trucks, even the newer cars we have for our kids, oil today is crappy so cheap insurance. That is why I preset my timing to 10/12 degrees to fire it up for my breakin so I can get to my 1,800 with the timing close. If you have to play around trying to set the timing you can wipe out a lobe with low Rpm in as little as 1 minute. Good your getting it figured out, and yep I do like the other project, man that can be a nice one when your done, well even before. don't need great paint these days, the patina thing helps a lot to be able to get a project running and use it without the pretty factor.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote