The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
On their website, if you click on the Quality link, Tabco states they use OEM thickness steel. The problem won't be the thickness so much, although that's a factor. The real issue with floor panels is that most are made to lay over the existing area. They aren't formed as a replacement panel with a pinchweld lip that mates to the firewall. Instead, vendors assume the whole area is rotted out so they extend a flat piece up and over the toe board at the bottom of the firewall. Many guys just tack weld or screw the replacement panel to the existing floor, slather seam sealer around the edges, cover it with carpet and call it good. The fact that the underside is rotted and hanging down doesn't enter into the equation.

On my '68, I took careful measurements and cut across the top of the repro panel, then put a ninety degree lip on it using the sheetmetal brake. I cut the spotwelds on the firewall pinchweld, cleaned the lip and mated it to the newly formed lip on the replacement panel. Then spotwelded them together. Lotsa work, but I never found a source for an actual replacement panel. And unfortunately, the floor pans won't be the only pieces with fitment issues...
Thanks Vic! I sure don't want to drop a replacement panel on top of the existing floor, I'll cut out the bad stuff and patch it in.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote