The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
47AD

dropped axle vs MII suspension and more questions

I know this has probably been beaten to death before but before I take my 47AD apart, I'm trying to get over the major decision on the suspension. For those who have had the chance to experience both the solid axle with leaf springs and the MII suspension how is the ride of each?

My thought process is considering a 3"dropped axle with new stock height leaf springs from either Eaton or Posie's to keep a more vintage theme, add power steering and front disc brakes. With this setup I can do the majority of the work myself and keep my costs down some. Eaton Springs Co claims you can make a leaf spring front end ride almost as good as IFS but I have my doubts.

If I do the MII, the costs go up as I will need to have it welded in as I do not want to go the bolt-in route. I received one quote already and to have the MII welded in along with the motor mounts was about $1,500.00. This also included taking the front leaf springs and hanger brackets off and clearancing the firewall for the engine if needed. That seems a bit pricey, but what do I know?

I have not made a decision on the transmission yet on automatic or manual. My original thought was to go manual with Hydraulic clutch and power brakes but I also realize the automatic is probably easier.

I was going to use a vintage small block 265 V8 that my grandfather had used in a 47AD he had long ago. It's the same exact engine and I thought would go well in a vintage theme truck if I go that route. I know there are better engine choices but since I still have the engine, thought keeping a little history alive would be good.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
47AD is offline   Reply With Quote