The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
66Submarine

Re: Project two tone.

Don't see the LPG pistons listed by Clifford; their prices seemed scary enough to make me plug the old ones back in, anyhow!

A '64 wouldn't have had the blue head gasket from the factory. Might have just had the head off before, but old rebuilds are always suspect this far in the future; 85,500 might actually be 185,500 with a little freshening up done at some point. Should be a super nice truck/engine if it really only has 85,500 on it since new, though!

I'm sure you'll be able to make something work, but it's always a very good idea to wait and disassemble/inspect/measure before buying stuff. My 292 had ate the cam (I think it was because of oil dilution), but it was a recent .030 rebuild with the crosshatching still visible; just a new set of moly rings + quick touch-up with a hone and it should be good. No sense paying someone to bore it out and buying new pistons for fun!

You can also save a lot of money in other ways by doing that; the 250 in my truck right now is a pretty recent rebuild (no oil consumption, good leakdown numbers, etc), but the oil pressure is a little lower than what I'd like to see; probably has some wear on the crank and would need to be ground undersized to be "right". But I got another "scrap" 250 full of water for free, and that one had a beautiful standard sized crank in it! A new set of rings/bearings along with the crank out of the scrap engine, and it should be great engine again--and for almost no money.