The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
jabborabbo

Gonna make a move driving my '67 GMC....

Want opinions/suggestions/comments...gonna drive 700 miles to Texas towing a Volvo S40 on a car dolly. Truck has a 250 L6 with three on the tree and drum brakes all around. I have a new step bumper bolted on the frame that purportedly will handle 800 lb tongue weight and 8000 lb trailer weight, which I kinda suspect that the car dolly/Volvo combination is considerably below that limit. I installed a plug and go trailer light harness and I've done all the routine maintenance in the last year (repacked wheel bearings, drained and filled radiator, differential, and standard transmission, greased steering gear and suspension components, checked brakes and fluid) and the tires are less than a year old. Any suggestions on anything else? I've put 5000 trouble free miles on it since I bought it last year (other than replacing the water pump which was put on it back when it had 43000 miles in the late 70's...YIKES)...any suggestions that will minimize the odds that something majorly crappy happens between here and there will be greatly appreciated! The trip will be about 100 miles of two/four lane state roads and 600 miles of Interstate travel with no major hills/mountains to worry about.

Thanks!
jabborabbo is offline   Reply With Quote