The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
old cool

Question torquing a pinion nut

Now here's a topic that has multiple threads going back years and years. That's why I'm bring it back to the surface. Like many who have brought this to the forum, I have a leak at the pinion seal; and, I have a vibration between 15 and 35 mph. I have been told by a shade tree mechanic that it is not my u-joints.

I have read almost every thread I could (over an hour) and I'm confused. Yesterday, while visiting my local NAPA store, a good guy behind the desk said to drop the drive shaft and tighten the pinion nut. That's it (meaning that could be the problem; not ruling out other problems).

There were only a few threads that made it sound that simple. One member said the crush sleeve was already addressed at about 300 ft/lbs and therefore to tighten the pinion nut at 125 ft/lbs wouldn't matter (if it's too loose). Some threads sounded similar; adding that locktite should be used and a new pinion nut. All other threads were addressing potential problems with over tightening the nut. Some disagreed and said you can't over tighten with a 1/2 torque wrench.

I hope I can get a consensus without getting even more confused.
NOTE: I have seen you tubes where a mechanic marked everything up to reset and align after putting a new seal in. He then turned the pinion nut a little beyond the mark because he said he could feel looseness. That being said, is the NAPA guy right?

I have a Dana 44-1, 354 in a 1966 GMC

Last edited by old cool; 07-30-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: last line added
old cool is offline   Reply With Quote