The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Sheetaki

67 C20 front end issue-Need help tonight!

Okay, so I have an issue. Truck is a '67 C20, a while ago I swapped the spindles to '74, so I now have power brakes. However, I didn't do the tie rods then as my mechanic buddy said "they're fine." To get the '67 tie rods to fit, you just have to ream the spindle out slightly. No big deal. Sadly, the tie-rod ball-joint seized, and instead of turning, it turned in the spindle, reaming it out way too much, and then the tie rod broke in two at the threads. I bought new tie rods, which arrived in time for this weekend, but taking it apart discovered the spindled was ruined. (as a note, we tried welding new metal to the spindle and reaming it out, but it seems the reamer is dull)
Option A: Go to pick n pull tomorrow (there's one C20). Grab just one spindle, hope I can ream it out (the reamer may be too dull), install new tie rods, be done. This is the easier solution.
Option B (expert mode): Grab the whole front assembly. Crossmember and control arms (this will solve my caster issue, and is what I should have swapped in the first place) new spindles with all the steering assembly including the box and maybe the PS-pump (manual steering currently).
The potential issues are:
-The steering box. From what I understand my rag joint will bolt up to the '73-'86 box, but my frame may need to be dimpled?
-Will I need to grab the power steering stuff as well, as it will most likely be a PS-box?
-Will a pump bolt up to my Targetmaster 350 that has the '67 327 heads on it?
-Or will the pitman arm from a '73-'86 PS box bolt to my '67 manual steering box?

There's probably some other problems I'm not foreseeing that I'll bang my head against tomorrow. As far as the crossmember swap goes, from what I understand I just need to elongate one hole and that's just a straight swap.

Thanks for any and all help. The tie-rod broke right as it was pulling into a friend's yard, but one week was already over-staying it's welcome, and now it's more broken than it was.....
Sheetaki is offline   Reply With Quote