The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
gearhead2069

FlatOut with C4 suspension build... Questions/Issues- HELP!!!

So I am currently working on a 51 3100 and my plan is to install an 87 c4 front and rear suspension. After reading some other builds here, my confidence was built up enough to do it for myself. The problem is that I keep running into issues when it comes to the geometry and directions for the suspension hardware that I had sent to me. I need help.

So you can see the issues that I came into with the front suspension on my build thread. I was able to work around it and get it to work.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626397

So now for the issues with the rear suspension. I am calling on some assistance here because I really want to think that the issue is my own instead of it being Flatout's. I have completely followed the instructions that came with the hardware without fault. I keep going back and measuring everything to find the measurements are as described in the instructions. I started out to find my wheel centers, marked them were I thought they looked good then measured 6 1/4 inches back to find the positioning for the rear differential crossmember just as instructed. Followed the rest of the directions and tacked it in. Stood back to find that my wheels are now sitting way to far back (according to my liking).

So the only issue that I could imagine there being that would throw the wheel centers off is here where the half shafts do not appear to be straight from one end to the other. They are actually angled toward the back of the truck.

So the question is for those who have had experience with either this kit or with c4 suspension components. Is this the way that the IRS geometry is supposed to look or are the components somehow out of place? Have any of you who have taken the same route had any of the same issues that I have had with getting the FlatOut kit to fit?

I'm not an experienced builder by any means as this is my first but I have enough mechanical knowledge to get me into trouble. If any of you could help shed some light or offer advise, it would be greatly appreciated!
gearhead2069 is offline   Reply With Quote