The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
Ozzy2013

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Update time, its been a slow 2 weeks for working on the truck, worked the last 2 weekends in a row plus some OT thru the week.

Front drive shaft is at the driveline repair place, they said if the center pin is within spec then it will be about $80 to rebuild it and throw a coat of black paint on it. Rear driveshaft is removed but the u joints are super smooth so it will get cleaned up and reinstalled.

Did more testing on the noise, took both driveshafts off and blocked the wheels, revved up the engine and it still made the noise in that RPM range, i grabbed my stethoscope and started probing around under the truck with the T-case in gear at idle (all 3 gears to be exact) nothing sounded bad at all. So i decide to pop the hood and listened around more around the top of the tranny and front of the engine nothing, then i revved the engine.... what the heck? the noise now sounded like it was at the top front of the engine.. Found it! A while back i was dealing with an alternator belt squeal, well i guess in my frustration dealing with that i must have tightened the belt too tight, the bearing in the alternator had let go..

How this sound made its way to the area around the transfer case and floor of my cab i can only attribute to not having carpet and insulation in the cab at the moment and the kicker, i also have the boot unscrewed from the floor. The darned truck has become a ventriloquist. Almost back on track now but i feel a little foolish thinking it was the T-case now.. :p
Been there done that sometimes its hard to track down a noise.
Ozzy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote