The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Re: Lowest production/serial number

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
There will be some trucks that will "fall through the cracks" as far as just going by VIN number is concerned.
I have a C20 factory dually and was told by several that Chevy never built a C20 dually that the duals didn't come on until the C30 (1 ton) model. It was coded on my SPID, and still a couple of "experts" told me there was no such truck. I called the Restoration people's 800 number and after a little explanation the nice lady asked me what the VIN # was. I gave it to her and a couple of days later she called me back and said one of us mis-read the number. I read it back to her from the plate, and from the SPID. Two or three days later, she called me again and said she had good news and bad news. The bad news was she couldn't find my truck any where in the archives. The good news was she couldn't find my truck any where in the archives............then she explained. In 1968 Chevrolet didn't keep track of anything that was one percent (1%) or less of a production run. She said in '68 there were 1103 flatbed C20's ordered, but since the dually option didn't come up, my truck was one of eleven (11) or less of that configuration built.
I said all of that only to say that as has been mentioned, the VIN's may not be 100% reliable in determining a particular truck's heritage.

There will always be unique vehicles out there. In those cases,collectively we can assist owners with getting there answers. The board members do this now.
Loading pics of the VIN and SPID, will aid in this documentation.

If this database takes off it would load the pics and associate them with that matching VIN. The pictures and full vin would not be shared to the public (like credit card numbers show on your receipt. There would need to be an administrator who loaded the pictures or at least ensured the database continued to work correctly. I will work with my fried on a plan for that.
Thanks for sharing your situation and possible areas of concern.
Mike