The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
WIDESIDE72

700r4 transmission repair helped needed NW Austin TX Reference needed

I had my 72 stepside up and running great. I am running a 700r4 that I swapped in. It had rebuilt a while back and I parted out the truck it was in. I drove the truck a hundred miles or so and all was good, shifting right, overdrive and everything. I took it to a cruise in at the local Wendy's and when I went to leave, it would shift out of 1st gear. I pulled over and checked the fluid level, which was several (3?) qts low. I did not have a trail of fluid behind me and there was no fluid in the radiator/ cooler, so I was at a loss as to where the leak was. I refilled it and it still would not shift out of 1st. Transmissions are my weakness. The rod that the throttle valve cable actuates is not stuck. I had someone tell me on the phone that you have to pull the valvebody off to check it, so I did. . I have dropped the valve body and have not been able to figure out anything about the throttle valve. I installed another valvebody and now the trans stats off in 2nd, unless I select 1st manually. It will still not go into overdrive.

I have not been able to find a shop who will promise me that the truck will not sit out unsecured overnight. They all want me to drop it off and they will look at it when they can. I am off this Friday and asked if I could bring it then. He said if I dropped it off Friday, he would look at it Mon/ Tues. If I wait til Tues, it will be Thurs. etc. (???) My dad has $20k or so into this truck and I am not comfortable with that. the other shop I talked to is in New Braunfels, north of Austin, a good three hour drive from me.

Does anyone have anyone they can recommend?
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote