The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Super73

Another Disk Brake option (80-90lbs lighter)

I recently posted this in the racing section but wanted to get it out there for others.

I have recently put a Mustang II spindle on my 63 pick up and but a set of Wilwood Dynalite brakes on it. Here is what I did..

I used QA1 Upper and lower ball joints:
1210-101 = Standard height for the upper

Press in housing for our lower arms 1210-510
Ball Joint for lower MII taper that fits that housing is 9029-229
QA1 does not sell that combo together currently.

This provides the correct taper to fit the Mustang II spindle and fits both our upper and lower control arms.

You can see from the pictures in this post that the lower required a spacer and the upper I just used a hardend washer. A slight taper on the inside is required on the upper as there was a slight lip where the threads stopped, they came through the spindle ever so slightly.

My truck already had a later model disk brake swap with 2" drop spindles. The tie rod ends fit the later 1982 Chevy pick up (not sure what other years)
I decided to ream the Mustang II spindle to accept Tie Rod part number ES409RT outer tie rod end. Normally this spindle is a bottom tie rod feed and now is a top feed like our trucks.
My drag link uses inner tie rod ES409LT

Brakes are Wilwood 140-11017-D. This is the biggest disk Wilwood recommended with a 15" wheel. Keep in mind, I do limited street driving. I wanted to go with 140-10440 but Wilwood was not convinced they would fit a 15" wheel.

I had to massage the lower control arm with a cut off and flapper wheel around the ball joint so it did not hit the rotor.

I am guessing total weight savings is about 80-90lbs as I forgot to actually weigh the new complete set up before installing it.

Could a person use a stock Mustang II brake too? It is possible as it will obviously fit the spindle, not sure if the same mods will be needed for the lower control arm, I am going to guess so. I don't know how big/thick they are and not sure if I would recommend it.

Before I get beat up about the strength of the spindle keep in mind, my truck last weighed 3,200lbs with me in it and seas mostly track use.

I hope others will find this of use.
Attached Images

1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49

Last edited by Super73; 08-26-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote