The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
JennCat

70 C30 disk brake conversion

I could use some advise, (probably lots of it) concerning the disk brake conversion on this truck.[IMG][/IMG]

I bought this truck from an owner in Oklahoma and had it towed to Kansas. After fussing with it for a while I gave up, sold it to my friend and left for a while. Upon returning (months later) he still had it sitting where it was last parked, doing nothing. So, I'm going to try again. I bought it back from him (he hadn't even transferred the title) and with a new outlook, I am going to go forward with a build.

Some history.
This truck belonged to a fire company (hence the decals) and once hauled a supplemental reservoir. For most of its life it has sat inside a bay at the fire station waiting for something to happen. Consequently, it has very little rust. That was my main objective for finding a project truck, little or no rust. This is it.
Additionally it has a 350/4bbl which starts and runs with no trouble whatsoever. I have every reason to believe the truck is entirely stock with the exception of the flat bed. I also have every reason to believe that because of its life at the station, the odometer has not been tripped, though I don't know how to confirm that.

Another reason I think the odometer hasn't been tripped is that it still has the SM465 which as you all know, doesn't allow one to put alotta miles on a truck very quickly. Had the transmission been an automatic, I might question that.

However, after years of sitting indoors at the station, it was eventually auctioned and served as a farm truck, hauling hay and miscellaneous items, rarely leaving the field. Again, this old truck is in great condition considering the circumstances. The circumstance I am referring to is the fact that this truck had been sitting in a field when a brush fire swept over it.

And though it may not be clear in the picture, it did sustain some superficial damage. Wiring harnesses are partially melted, hoses, rubber and plastic show signs of heat and inside the cab was coated with blackened residue. Also, the windshield is cracked from the heat. So that was when it was sold and I acquired in that condition.

These things are minor (from my own POV) as there is very little rust and it runs great.

However as you all know, a 1970 stock C30 is not easily streetable unless daddy owns stock in the Exxon/Mobile Corporation. Mine doesn't.

So there are many things needing done. The body parts and engine I have under control. But drive train and suspension are a mystery to me. I am planning on putting an NV4500 into it and changing out the drums to disk.
This is where I will have a ton of questions. Though I have read through the forums here and elsewhere, there are many differing opinions and various methods of accomplishing the things I plan to do. In fact, there is so much varied info that it’s difficult to sort into a unified collection of data pertinent to my specific application.

So here’s where I am presently. I have the body work and engine under control for now. And I might even manage the trans swap with a little guidance. But information on the disk brake conversion is driving me nutz.

Questions on the conversion:
1) I have read that a full front end from any 73-87 Suburban is pretty much a direct bolt on. Is this correct?

2) My truck is a dually. I have recently replaced the 2 piece rims with one piece steel wheels. While the front wheels were off, I took note of the drum configuration and the extension which has the 8 lug studs. Since the Suburban is not a dually, is it the case that I will have to order new rotors (for the disk brake conversion) which have the extension for accepting the dually rims?

3) I am (once again) in quest of a donor truck. Am I restricted to a Suburban for the disk brake conversion or is it possible to use something like a 72, ¾ ton pick-up?

I have many more questions concerning this but to keep the information straight, I am limiting my questions to these.
Thank you for any advice offered. It is appreciated.

Last edited by JennCat; 09-05-2014 at 10:11 PM.
JennCat is offline   Reply With Quote