The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
CharlieSheen

Any way to Replicate Hydroboost with Mechanical Advantage?

My project truck will be a '53 on a 3500 chassis and drive train.I would like to free up the engine compartment by possibly mounting the booster and master underfloor.I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea,because this will be a Northeast daily-driven work truck (lots of weather and salted roads).I'll be running late model Chevy 3500 disc brakes all four corners and dually rear.

I am also not real crazy about having the pedal and linkage going down through the floor,like some aftermarket setups.I would however consider a down rod through the floor,that doesn't travel in an arc,that makes it easy to boot/grommet and seal.I also have no problem coming through the firewall with a fabricated rod and bellcrank,etc.

When I saw this setup by KIM57

It got me thinking that possibly I could fab a mechanical advantage type system with levers and bellcranks.I wouldn't have a problem mounting a master to the frame with a remote reservoir mounted in the service/tool body the truck will get.Maybe with sizing the Master cylinder right,I could have reasonable pedal effort and pedal throw?

I know there is at least one member here who has seen a lot of school bus and medium truck setups.

Could I mount the hydroboost underfloor?Yes,I guess.But now I would have to contend with exhaust and other equipment clearances.And I just don't have all the room that a bus or medium truck has available.
CharlieSheen is offline   Reply With Quote