The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
scootermcrad

New guy and a C10 - A few drive train questions

Hey everyone! Been lurking for a little while, but now that my '64 C10 is going to start getting some attention I have questions. I did some searches for some of these answers, but still have some questions...

First off, I grew up around my Grandfathers 65 C20, so it was just natural to always need one of these trucks. Little did I know, when I started poking around, I found one LITERALLY across the street in my neighbors back yard and it was going up for sale. A more than reasonable price and a title transfer and we pulled it over to my driveway.

She's real ugly and rough, but she's all there and I don't mind the sheet metal work it needs. Thankfully the sheet metal it needs is all the usual places, but NOT in some of the worst places to repair. The important part was that it was pretty much complete and with a little mechanical love, she's a driver, which is what I need right now.

The end product will probably be inspired by something like these two beauties... Will be awhile though.

First thing is first though... Get it on the road. I've got some earlier 16" wheels that need some rubber wrapped around them, then I will work on getting the stance right. It will probably sit closer to how the red truck above is sitting, maybe not quite as low, even. The most important thing to me is that I can USE the truck, which means maybe some helper bags or something to that effect. In parallel, I need to go through the brakes, fuel system, and the engine is a runner, but need to finish up the carb before I can get it turned over again.

All this brings me to the questions, though...

1st- I've been having a hard time getting a definite ID on the engine. It's a 230 or 250 or possibly even a 194 Inline 6. How do I tell the difference besides pulling the head?

2nd- I need a replacement dipstick tube (broke mine off flush with the block). Do I need part number 3951600?

3rd (and biggest)- I would like to do a TH350 swap on this truck. I know it's pretty well a bolt-up deal with the exception of the drive shaft, but what else do I need to know? Starter? Flexplates? Kickdown with a mult-carb setup (probably a 3x1 Offy setup)? How about torque converter selection for something that will mostly be just for driving around in (possibly daily) and with the occasional small trailer towing (which is why I'm making the switch)?

Any input you guys can offer me and any links to thread that may already be covering these questions would be appreciated!

Thanks guys! Excited to get started on this thing!
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote