The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
spenceman72

Just converted to internal reg. alt-check my work?

I just converted today to an internally regulated alternator, and after much research on these boards I thoroughly over complicated this project but "think" I've done it correctly.
I followed these instructions exactly, thanks to Todd for keeping it very simple;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379

The battery was at 12.4v and jumped to about 13.3 while the engine was running (shouldn't it be 14.4 or so?). The alternator wasn't making any crazy sounds so I believe the belt tension is good.

The alternator I installed is an Ultimate, part 01-0260.

A couple questions I have;
1. Other than testing voltage at the batter with/without the engine running, what other tests should I do to make sure I installed everything correctly?
2. The description of the alternator says the clock position should be at 3. However mine is at maybe 2 (I believe the clock position is the position of the tabs when looking from the back of the alt). If I had it at 3 the belt would be very loose. Is this an issue?
3. My 72 Blazer has gauges I believe (speedo, blank, fuel on top and battery (read out is d on lt side and c on right), temp, blank and oil pressure on right). I read several time that when converting to an internally reg alt on a truck with an ammeter (that is the 'battery' gauge I believe), you will need a resistor somewhere on the brown wire (the one I connected to the blue wire. Well-mine doesn't have any resistor. With the engine off the battery gauge sits right in the middle, and with the engine running it pegs at 'c'. So-do I need a resistor?
4. This new alternator says it is 78 amps. I have AC on the truck that doesn't work, a regular aftermarket stereo and did install a heavy duty headlight harness from LMC. I'm assuming I'm fine with the alternator I purchased in terms of what I have in the truck, but I did not change the red wire that connects to the bat terminal at the back of the alternator..It looks to be 10 gauge...is this 'big enough' for the alternator?
5. The red and white wires that were plugged into the old external regulator-I just left them in the harness. ok?

My biggest 'fear' is burning down my house or Blazer-second is the truck just dying on me while driving and I go into a ditch, and third is just being stranded somewhere. So-any advice/comments on how I did this and things I should check to make me more comfortable are greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by spenceman72; 09-20-2014 at 05:53 PM.
spenceman72 is offline   Reply With Quote