The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
dfrank

What should I do?

Right now I have a 2001 tahoe with 113,000 miles as a daily driver and my 1986 k10 that gets driven when it is nice out, but is going to be torn down for a full restoration this winter. I would like to get another square body for a daily driver. I found a 1988 Chevy Suburban with a factory 350/4 speed manual combo (I would prefer a manual over an automatic) on the local Craigslist that looks VERY clean in the pictures. I emailed the guy after I couldn't get a hold of him on the phone and he told me that he is selling it for his dad who will be out of town for 2 weeks. He told me it is very clean and the frame is solid and it has 146,000 miles on it. I think it was garage kept. Well the dilema is I really want it, but I would have to sell my tahoe or k10 to get it and I am NEVER selling my k10 (it was my first truck in high school). So should I sell the newer 2001 tahoe and get the older 1988 suburban? The tahoe hasn't really been too reliable. I have been fixing one thing after another, so far I have been able to fix everything myself but had to have the transmission done by someone else. The other thing is I basically know the square body chevy's inside and out and have a bunch of spare parts, but I don't know much about fixing any major problems with the tahoe with a 5.3 and a bunch of electronicly controlled crap. If I blow a motor in the 1988 suburban I can build a basic stock 350 for about $1000 and have it swapped in no time since I have done it a bunch of times already. If I blow a motor in the tahoe I have no idea how much it will be to rebuild it and how much of a pain in the azz it would be to swap it. It can't be too hard though probably just a lot more expensive. So do you think I would be better off keeping the newer 2001 tahoe or selling the tahoe and buying the 1988 suburban that I know more about and would probably appreciate more? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote