The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
NebraskaRanger

Question 1975 K10 Engine Swap Questions

Hey everyone. So I am the new guy here. So I'll introduce myself.

I'm Levi. 22 year old graphic designer at Cabela's here in Nebraska.

I just recently bought a 1975 K10. This truck is absolutely beautiful. I love it a lot. However...I managed to seize up the engine (305) within 4 days of buying it. I am not a smart human being. I have tried manually turning it over, push starting it, nothing has worked. So it's lead me to believe that it's screwed and I should start searching for a new engine. I told my dad about my situation and he told me that he has a 1979 K10 with a rebuilt 350 out at the farm. He said it ran when he parked last year, so it might need some TLC, but told me I could take the engine out of it and put it in the 75.

Now, as you could probably guess by my job title, I am no mechanic. I have read up on 305 to 350 swaps on here, but none of it really makes sense to me. From what I read, everything should bolt right up. But there is talk of TBI, sensors, headers, etc. that throws a wrench in my head.

So, explain like I'm 5...what do I need to know about doing an engine swap or things that you wish you knew when you did yours?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it!

(Also, if there's a post that has pretty much everything I need to look at, please feel free to link to it.)
NebraskaRanger is offline   Reply With Quote