The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #1
68vortecimpala

Finally got one! '68 Shorty Stepper

Finally got my hands on that '68 stepside I've been longing after for the last few years...

The pics show exactly how I picked it up from the PO. He replaced a fender, shot everything in this primer and lost his job (opportunity knocked for me!). I picked it up for $5500 and haven't looked back!

It has some rust on the cab supports underneath but the rockers and corners are untouched by cancer. I had to put 4-wheel brakes on it, replace a couple of brake lines, rebuild the carb and adjust the valves (he had the rocker covers on backwards!) but I've been putting it through the paces around town and it is great!

First task is to rebuild the bed (IPE lumber anyone?) and then think about paint. It's going to be a daily driving truck that will be used to haul/pull, so I'm unsure about what to do about painting the bed. Should I paint it and let it get scratched up? Paint it and then roll bedliner on top? Use a plastic insert? I want it to be nice but not too nice to where I don't want to use the truck as, well..... a truck.

68vortecimpala is offline   Reply With Quote