The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
81ChevyC10inSC

Heater problems?

Ok i have 81 C10 w/o AC and the i6 (250). Bought the truck some time ago and have had issues with the heater ever since. Hadnt worried about it much until the colder weather got here. The truck has what appears to be a brand new radiator. I have replaced the heater core (old one leaked) thinking that would fix my problem. It didn't. So yesterday I replaced the thermostat (195 degree) just in case and topped off the coolant. Let the truck idle to get up to temp and I had really good heat. Weird thing was only the hoses going to the heater got hot. Neither top nor bottom hose to radiator got hot.

So this morning I start it in the drive way and let it idle for 10-15 minutes. I get in a notice no real heat yet. So I drive in to work (30 minutes but only because of traffic) and still only cool air is blowing from defrost or heat. With it running I checked under the hood we I got to work and had zero leaks and all hoses are hot. I really am at a loss at this point on what to check. Could I have an air bubble maybe?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
81ChevyC10inSC is offline   Reply With Quote