The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
JulioK

Gravity related engine stalling

I have a 1972 lwb stepside with a 307 and three speed manual transmission. Since I've had the truck it has this problem with stalling as I come to a quick stop. I have done a number of things to the truck along the way and while it runs much better than when I got it it still has the stalling issue. Here are some of the things I've done or had done along with a few more details about the truck.

Replaced the carb with a rebuilt 2bb rochester from oreillys
New air filter
New engine wiring harness
New spark plugs
New see thru fuel filter
New fuel pump last spring.
New brake master cylinder (not power brakes)
Timing is recently set (by a pro mechanic)
Truck has HEI with proper 12v hot lead
I have replaced several vacuum lines
I have sprayed carb cleaner around the carb and intake manifold and think I am free of leaks
I have replaced the valve cover gaskets
The truck burns a little oil and smokes at startup. I suspect it needs new valve seals but have not had time to try my hand at that.

Stalls are more likely to happen as I stop on a downhill.
Another symptom is that when I come to a stop I hear the rpm go way down and then after a few seconds at a stop the rpm goes back up to normal idle
The stallng happens whether I am in gear or coasting at idle with clutch in or in neutral as I stop

Sure seems gravity/momentum related. If the carb float was misaligned could this be the problem? As fuel sloshes forward in the bowl could the float be dropping down and killing the fuel flow? Truck runs great other than this one issue. My short term work around has been to leave the choke pulled out too far but the obvious side effect is the engine is idling way too high.

Thx for sharing any thoughts on the matter