The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
JulioK

First try at replacing a clutch

Seems I am going to have to replace this clutch. I've only had this truck about eight months and I don't really know what the history of the clutch is. I do know that it's gotten hard to shift and makes noises when stopped with the clutch down. My best description of the noise is when you're pushing a lawn mower and you accidentally run over a piece of paper. The noise makes me think something may have broken off the clutch And is flying around inside the bell. I've tried lengthening the clutch Rod Adjustment and that made it shift a little easier but I still have the noise and struggle to get it in gear when stopped. I have a few questions pardon me if I don't know the proper terminology cuz I have zero training and am basically teaching myself this stuff

I have a three speed transmission and it looks like two of the bolts go in to it from inside of the bell housing. I assume that I have to take the pan off the bottom of the bell housing and then I should be able to get to those bolt heads from inside?

Is it better to remove the pins on the shifter linkage arms or unbolt the bolts that go through the shifter arms into the transmission when removing the transmission?

I will likely pick up a clutch kit after I've taken it all apart. Is there a recommended brand? I'm not looking for high speed our performance just solid functionality.

Are there preventive maintenance things I should consider doing since I'm going to have the transmission and clutch out?

I'm sure I'll have more questions and appreciate the input.