The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Jnonni

69 GMC 2500 Steering / Alignment issues

I have recently have completed a $30,000 restoration of my rare 69 2500 4x2 truck. I have a major issue with the turning radius and alignment of the wheels. The entire suspension was torn down and reassembled with the only change being new ball joints, tie rods and bushings. I have had it aligned 3 times and experts have confirmed the control arms and components are correct.

Here is the issue: It's fine when you go straight or have a very mild slight turn, but as soon as you turn past 45% the wheels start to scrub the surface excessively wearing the new tires. Doing any type of parking or tight turns actually make the wheels squeal and you can physically see the tires trying to roll over the edges. They do not hit the wheelwells so it's not a clearance issue. Everything in the front end is within the correct alignment specs. It almost feels as if the outer wheel is turning in vs. turning out when you turn. It should be the opposite so that it can turn without the excessive friction.

The ONLY modification I have made is I have increased the size of the wheel from 15 to 16 and increased the tire width from 75's to 70's. It has 245/70/R16's on it. This should not make some a difference. IDEAS???? Thank you!
Jnonni is offline   Reply With Quote